Re: so slow

Subject: Re: so slow
From: Tom Tarka (tommy@mp3.com)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 13:33:44 MDT

More ram is probably the answer. KDE is a total resource hog and will
bog down your machine if you have anything less than 64 megs of
physical ram (IMHO). You can optimize KDE a bit by turning off
lots of the perks, specifically stuff like transparent windows when dragging,
and a lot of the resizing routines, etc. I found this helped a lot, but
nonetheless,
I have moved to fvwm (v1) because it only takes up ~30M of ram.

I'll also refer you to:
    http://catalog.com/hopkins/unix-haters/x-windows/disaster.html

And regardless, I'd expect BeOS to be more responsive/mature from the
GUI standpoint. X is a hack. period. :)

    -t