Re: webmin

Subject: Re: webmin
From: Howard Shere (hshere@greendragon.com)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 16:43:54 MDT

> Actually DP4, DP3, DP2, OS X Server, Rhapsody DR2, DR1, OpenSTEP 4.2
> already do, but they are going to remove it both from the install and from
> the CD's. (From several people and the OSX programmers at Macworld) You'll
> have to add it back in after installing. It's called BSD.pkg It isn't
> OpenBSD. It is Apple's modified 4.4Lite on Mach 3.0 with Mach 4 hooks,
> devfs, and the like. It also has modified fs tweaking to keep HFS+, and
> still allow UFS. In my startup items group I have Terminal.app. The first
> terminal application to allow anti-aliased fonts.... maybe.

This has been one of the big issues. If you _have_ to ever see the command
line to use and administer the system (including installing and uninstalling
stuff) then Mac OS X is not done yet.

This is critical to the success of Mac OS X and it looks like Apple is going
in the right direction. A command line as an optional install is important
because no installer stuff can _require_ the user to have a command line.

This is one of the problems that BeOS had. Even though they had a good base
and people could have written good installers they didn't because they knew
everyone would have the command line, so the installation instructions told
people what commands to type.

There is nothing wrong with needing the command line to get the system
ported to a new platform or do other things of that nature, but I should be
able to do everything on my system without ever seeing one if I just a user
or I am just administering some machines.

 Gridz 1.3 ---- www.gridz.com ---- NetSpace will never be the same again
Howard Shere | Green Dragon Creations | Water Valley Interchange
President | 301 N. Main St. | P.O. Box 70
Software Sculptor | Water Valley, MS 38965 | Water Valley, MS 38965