RE: so slow

Subject: RE: so slow
From: Peter J Muhlberger (peterm+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2000 - 16:16:04 MDT

>I just installed YDL on my machine and was shocked and disappointed by how
>slow it became. I installed BeOS on my machine 2 years ago and loved how
>responsive and quick it felt compared to MacOS, but for whatever reasons I
>never used it much. Fast forward to last week- after hearing such good
>things about Linux and the increasing support base, I decided to go Linux. I

Hi Peter: I also have been quite surprised at how slow KDE & Gnome are
on my machine--at least for moving and scrolling windows. I am running
a Pismo Powerbook, 400mHz G3 w/ 192 megs RAM. I doubt this sluggishness
is due to my hardware, though I have wondered whether perhaps it's due
to the software not being configured properly for this new hardware. I
gather, though, that similar problems exist on other configurations.
Telling from the comments to your question, I can't quite tell whether
there are people out there who have non-sluggish KDE windows or not.
Are there? Anyone have more info. on how to address the caching issue?

Thanks!

peter