Re: yaboot/dual boot: Grievous assumptions/omissions in YDL Install Guide

Subject: Re: yaboot/dual boot: Grievous assumptions/omissions in YDL Install Guide
From: Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 15:58:56 MDT

Just FYI.. you may also want to reference http://devel.yellowdoglinux.com
One of our engineers wrote a dual-boot HOWTO. Hopefully it helps
compliment the manual some...

(BTW, thanks for the suggestions...)

> Hi,
>
> I've been search through the mailing lists of late to determine how
> to configure my BW G3 to run YDL CS 1.2 . I am familiar with HP-UX, Red
> Hat on intel, etc...so I am not a complete novice. I did not want to
> touch my MacOS 8.6 disk in any way so I added a slave ATA IDE drive
> (bought a new cable for my B&W G3). I did not install any MacOS
> partitions on the slave drive. I used the YDL CS 1.2 ISO images and
> burnt CDs, booted from the main installer CD and f/pdisked the disk and
> installed from there. It took a few "repartitionings" to get those
> correct ( or at least useful!). But at least the process is blindingly
> fast compared to say an all day HP-UX install!
>
> I followed the instructions in Chapter 6, pages 6.9 6.10 in the
> Installation Guide with little sucess. My experiences were similar to
> others: failure and confusion. I did however get a chance to learn a bit
> about Open Firmware :-) . I did more research and trial and error
> testing to finally arrive at a dual boot config with MacOS the default!
> And my MacOS drive untouched (except for the four files in the root of
> the boot partition: yaboot.conf, yaboot.tbxi,bootinfo.txt, and
> yaboot_0.7 ).
>
> I'd like to see the Installation Guide updated to fix the following
> issues:
>
> - under the section titled "Configuring a Dual-boot System" we are
> instructed to "copy the following text into a new text file in the root
> directory of your Linux boot partition:".... What NAME should it be? We
> are never explicitly told this but in the setenv command that appear on
> page 6.10:
>
> setenv boot-device hd:8,\bootinfo.txt
>
> we have to setup Open Firmware to use a file what is never defined
> elsewhere. I'd suggest EXPLICITLY naming the file in the Guide. Oh, and
> one other note on the dual-boot script: WARNING: when I used the Acrobat
> 3.01 text selection tool and pasted the text into a file I had extra
> white space all over the place. In several instances the text was double
> spaced: eg. "t h e n" instead of "then". This will play havoc with your
> script! Check it!
>
> - the dual-boot script names a file that, for first time installers,
> is not likely to exist anywhere: yaboot_0.5 . I searched using Acrobat's
> search tool and found no other references to that file in the Guide. I
> finally determined that if I downloaded the yaboot_07 package and
> changed the name in the script to my newly downloaded yaboot_07 software
> it worked! (Note: that in my setup I have the script run from my Master
> IDE drive which hosts my MacOS install. Not the YDL install on the slave
> IDE.)
>
> - the issue of the backslash: how many and where comes into play. I
> found, by testing using the boot command in Open Firmware, my script
> only worked if I used "\\" to reference the txbi file for MacOS booting
> [...]

Regards,
Dan

Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.
 http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/

 Yellow Dog Linux
 http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/

 Black Lab Linux
 Advanced Workstations, Parallel, and Embedded Solutions
 http://www.blacklablinux.com/