Re: A few Questions...

Subject: Re: A few Questions...
From: Alfonso F. Agnew (aagnew@post.cis.smu.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 13:43:56 MDT

> 1) Is there a listing of HOWTOs for various common functions? I'm trying to
> figure out the following:
> - How to compile and install a kernel (I must be doing *something*
> wrong, 'cause I keep getting kernel panics using BootX...

http://linuxppc.org/blueg3/g3_kernel_howto.shtml

http://www.dartmouth.edu/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/jonh/lppc/faq.pl?_highlightWords=kernel&file=524

I've successfully compiled kernels on my pbg3 wallstreet following the the
directions in the second web page. I've had failures too, but not often.

> - How to finally get 3-button mouse support with a Wallstreet powerbook

It should already be there. (are you using the stock kernel in ydl1.2?)
Try option-1 and option-2 for middle and right button (resp.). You can change
this by issuing the appropriate kernel parameters at Boot X.

> - How to get MOL running

Start here, and if it doesn't work out, post the details of the problem:

http://www.ibrium.se/linux/
http://www.turbolinux.com/~brad/mol/
http://216.22.163.20/Linux_Pages/mol.shtml

> 2) I seem to remember when I was first messing with LinuxPPC (a couple years
> ago) being able to mount (read and write) Linux partitions under MacOS. I've
> found the utility by the author of BootX but it only mounts read-only.

Hmmm, I remember that there is some configuration that can be done. Perhaps
read/write status is one of them. I no longer use mountx, since I have a zip
and a regular hfs partition that both linux and macos can read and write to. I
guess I do have to move files around, but that hasn't been a problem for me.

Check the documentation that comes with mountx (I'd look but I don't have it):
http://calvaweb.calvacom.fr/bh40/

> 3) Where can I go to find out what the best XWindows config for my
> Wallstreet is? It seems slower than it should be

Are you running accelerated X? Are you using xfree86 or xpmac. I am running
xfree86 accelerated and it is fast enough. You'll need to pass some kernel
args at bootx to get the right resolution. If you're running xfree86, I
can pass along what works on my pbg3.

Check out:
http://www.members.home.net/njolly/xppc/index.htm
http://www.best.com/~pjl/personal/powerbook/x.html