Re: RE: Linux as fileserver

Subject: Re: RE: Linux as fileserver
From: Olivier van Helden (magic@samarkande.net)
Date: Wed Aug 16 2000 - 16:28:25 MDT

I use a Linux file server in mixed environment, with both Appletalk
and Samba. Actually, your question is also valid in the other
direction: what about the files you save from a Mac (without dotted
extension) and you try to read from a pc? In any case, the files
saved in one environment wouldn't be recognized by the others without
a minimal amount of rules...

Apart of this, the Appletalk server (aka netatalk) works pretty fine,
and does respect the resource fork of MacOs files. I can put on the
server things like PhotoShop files, installers, applications without
problem.

More than this, netatalk also passes file/creator information, based
on the extensions when the file doesn't come from a MacOs station.