PISMO PB 400mhz, startup problem, very easy to solve, so HELP ME!

Subject: PISMO PB 400mhz, startup problem, very easy to solve, so HELP ME!
From: William A. Harkness (quasar@mail.csuchico.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 13:47:07 MDT

Problem: Keyboard not functioning at welcome to YDL screen press [ok]

HD parition
HFS+ (with Mac OS 9.0.4) (I upgraded the firmware as well) (2.5 gig)
AUX/ROOT (2.5 gig)
HFS 150 mb
AUX/SWAP 150 mb

(I assume they are in this order 9,10,11,12)

(With 320 MB RAM n ATI 128 mobility 8mb VRAM)

Here's what the HFS HD looks like
(downloaded via I.E. 4.5 with "launch helper application when finished
downloading button UNCLICKED" ). [I configured the IE to download directly
to the HFS HD]

(downloaded from Ben's page) All were MacGzip'ed
http://ppclinux.apple.com/~benh/

1)airport.o -60k
2)linux-2.2.17pre13-ben1.tar -73.9 MB
3)modules-2.2.17pre13-ben1.tar -250k
4)System.map-2.2.17pre13-ben1 -285k
5)vmlinux-2.2.17pre13-ben1 -2.6 MB

(downloaded from xpmac's site)

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/powerpc/xpmac/
(Xpmac.rev10 was MacGzip'ed)

1) Xpmac.rev10 -3.5 MB
2) readthisfirst.txt (copied/pasted into Simpletext) -5k

(downloaded from YDL CS 1.2 CD) (I purchased YDL CS 1.2 - 3 set CDS)

(I MacGzip'ed ramkdisk.image)

1)ramdisk.image -4 MB
2)vmlinux -2.1 MB
3)yaboot.conf -5k
4)yaboot.tbxi -53k

Here's what my yaboot.conf looks like (I made modification to represent the
(macGzip'ed) ramdisk.image and updates in Ben's kernels). I used SIMPLETEXT
as my text editor.

init-message = "\nWelcome to Yellow Dog Linux!\nHit <TAB> for boot
options.\n\n"
timeout = 150
default = install

image = hd:11,vmlinux-2.2.17pre13-ben1
label = install
initrd = hd:11,ramdisk.image
initrd-size = 8192
append = "video=aty128fb:vmode:17"

image = hd:11,vmlinux-2.2.17pre13-ben1
label = linuxppc
root = /dev/hda10
append = "video=aty128fb:vmode:17,cmode:24"

(I copied it mainly from the http://www.Go2Mac.com/articles/read.cfm?id=202
page) I'm not quite sure what to do with the label=linuxppc since on
yellodoglinux.com's support page which pointed to
http://modctek.com/linux_report.htm showed the same configuration, and it
worked. So I guess it's irrelevant?

------------
I know it looks perfect so far.

However, with my /boot (the HFS HD), I cannot CHOOSE that as a "start-up"
disk - They said that there's no valid System File nor does the disk driver
software support the start-up selection.

No matter, I have the YellowDog_Install CD in it, and I'm about to restart.
I have two choices

1) Press C and allow the CD to boot, which will bring me into the yaboot

or

2) Press Control-Option-O-F to boot, which will bring me into the open
firmware.

I tried them both.

On YellowDogLinx support page, they pointed me to
http://modctek.com/linux_report.htm
which suggests booting via OF

at OF, I'm supposed to type

boot hd:11,yaboot

However, that doesn't work at all, it keeps saying it cannot be opened. I
even tried
boot hd:9,yaboot
boot hd:10,yaboot
boot hd:12,yaboot

*Nothing worked. Should I splice off the .txbi extension from the yaboot?
rename it as yaboot only?.. will it make it any better?*

It didn't really help at all. So I went over to
http://www.Go2Mac.com/articles/read.cfm?id=202
which is for LinuxPPC2000 with Pismo PB

It suggested just simply pressing down C. In which I did.

It will boot into the first screen which says

yaboot:

I would type either install or hd11, but nothing really worked.

yaboot: install (will boot DIRECTLY off the CD, not the HFS parition, hence
messing up the keyboard), funny thing though, I keep on getting "error in
parition and HDA: Lost-interrupt- all the way up to HDA 10,11)

yaboot: hd11 doesn't do jack squat, and times out (of course) and then
boots off the CD.

Which both will take me to "Welcome to Yellow Dog Linux Screen" Press [OK]

HelP? E-mail me directly to my account, since my school's Netscape
Messenger has a REALLLLLLY hard time reading this list's format, it takes
about 3 minutes just to load this digest, which is kinda bizzare, since the
LinuxPPC's digest loads within 3 seconds. I have a DSL connection, so speed
isn't a factor.

Don't know what to do, the only possibility that occurs to me is . .
perhaps it's the Hard-ware firmware that I updated about 4 weeks ago might
be interfering with the Linx. .which I find very unlikely. .but loco things
have been known to happen.

Mucha Gracias

Bill
quasar@mail.csuchico.edu