Follow up on my recent request on PISMO help PART II

Subject: Follow up on my recent request on PISMO help PART II
From: William A. Harkness (quasar@mail.csuchico.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 14:27:32 MDT

I forgot to include that it's probably more preferable if I just booted off
CD, since it takes me directly to

boot:

Here's what it looks at on the first screen (I'm reciting from memory)

"welcome yaboot v 0.5"
Wrong parition; 1 signature
Config file read (210 bytes )

 ((((My note: I don't know why it's reading the CD's config, I'm assuming
its the CD's yaboot.conf. . cuz as I put earlier, my yaboot.conf was
something like 5k or something? so apparently it's not the same
yaboot.conf, unless I'm mistaken))))

Welcome to Yellow Dog Linux
Hit <tab> for boot option

boot:

========
Like I mentioned earlier

typing

boot: hd:11,yaboot does JACKSQUAT.

I forgot to mention that typing

boot: hd:11,vmlinux (boots off the CD using the older driver then freezes
during boot)

BUT

boot: hd:11,vmlinux-2.2.17pre13-ben1

boots perfectly into Ben's latest driver vmlinux-2.2.17pre13-ben1, however
it goes nuts in the end

request.module[block-major-8] Root fs is not mounted
VFS: Cannot open root dev 08:01
Kernel Panic: VFS: unable to mount root dev 08:01
Rebooting in 180 seconds
======

I don't know whether I should be concerned, but it seems like it's very
crucial just to have the (HFS) chosen as start-up so it'll be automatically
mounted, I don't know.
When I boot via MacOS 9, only two hard-drives shows up, the HFS+ and HFS
standard (I read in another FAQ that it's perfectly normal, that the
AUX/ROOT and AUX/SWAP HD are already in there but just doesn't click with
MACOS or something)

 However, from all of other online guides, it didn't recommend the
hd:11,vmlinux-2.2.17pre13-ben1 configuration, so you can imagine how many
combinations I've gone through just to hope something works.

None of them mentions anything about kernel panic and stuff like that, it's
all either for Older Powerbooks or G4's or whatnot. .Will keep on trying.

As I pointed out, that HD cannot be chosen as a start-up disk. (perhaps
there is another way, I have no idea, the only way I know how to make it
the start-up disk is going to the MacOS itself and going to Apple icon on
the upper left corner, scrolling down to Control panel, then scrolling down
to "Start-up" Disk, and pressing the HFS disk, but that gave me the message
I typed in in the previous e-mail

Help me out meanwhile! ;-)

*grins*

BILL
Day 11 of Linux installation on my cursed PowerBook
quasar@mail.csuchico.edu