Re: Was I hacked?

Subject: Re: Was I hacked?
From: Charles Stevenson (csteven@terraplex.com)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 16:22:16 MDT

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, you wrote:
> Lastly, if you are hacked it is generally a good idea to reinstall. Assume
> that your cracker
> has placed dozens of backdoors and password sniffers on your system. You
> may find one
> of his goodies, but that certainly doesn't mean that you've shut him/her
> down and out.

I would also recommend the reinstall. Prevention is the best policy. I try
not to run any services that I don't use. Filter any ports that you have
services on so that only authorized addresses can connect. Anonymous FTP with
a writeable incoming dir is something one should definitely stay away from.
Nmap is a good port scanner you can run on your system to determine what ports
are open and decide what should be filtered. Tripwire is a good method of
checking what files get modified so if you are vulnerable (ie online with high
bandwidth) I would install that as well.

Best of luck,
Charles