RE: Was I hacked?: webmin note

Subject: RE: Was I hacked?: webmin note
From: Stefan Schneider (stefan.schneider@comsat.com.ve)
Date: Fri Aug 18 2000 - 09:11:01 MDT

As a side note (Considering that I have to work a lot with security) is that
most 1337 h4x0rz use precompiled rootkits and attacks (They seem to be lost
when they have to cross compile something) and few (none AFAIK but I might
be mistaken) rootkits are available in either perl or native PPC so you
might be safe from that point (Someone breaks in, tries to rootkit you and
install a x-86 binary, nothing happens) so sometimes I just fool my non x86
machines changing the OS Version and hardware info.

Well, now for the real advice... it's a GOOD policy to always run some
filtering/firewalling software in your machines even if they're behind a
firewall. Why? as proven in BugTraq countless times you can fool the
firewall if it's not properly secured and sometimes a brute force attack
will suffice (FW-1 is a good example). I for example run my firewalls in
OpenBSD with ALL services disabled. If I need access to my firewall I'm
forced to go to the data center and pull a serial terminal to connect. No
gui, no utils no nothing (Most of the disk space is used to store logs of
everything) if you're running a linux firewall use the same advice (No
services whatsoever) and run filtering software on your end machines. Also
with AIX I use IKE tunnels between my machines in the internal network and
only allow tunnels between machines that need communication, that adds
another layer of security because all the TCP/IP connections will be
encrypted (UDP goes encrypted thru IPSec).

Hope this helps (Or enlightens)

Stefan