Blue and White G3 Installation off CDs

Subject: Blue and White G3 Installation off CDs
From: Derek Jones (djones@carlhamm.com)
Date: Fri Aug 18 2000 - 11:18:56 MDT

Hello;

I've received a copy of Yellow Dog Linux Champion Server 1.2 CDs from
TerraSoft and am trying to start the installation on my nearly factory
400Mhz Blue-and-White G3 (the only non-Apple item is an external Micronet
OEM Quantum Fireball SCSI drive). I want to use BootX 1.2.1 on to an
external SCSI 4Gb hard drive, formatted with a 32Mb HFS volume and the
remained unallocated, interfaced via a Adaptec/Apple OEM 2940U2B SCSI card.
I'm familiar with Linux on Intel-based systems and UNIX in general, and to
Macs but I am new to Linux on Macs.

I already understand that I cannot directly boot from the CD via yaboot into
the Installer since the kernel on the CD isn't directly compatible with my
Blue G3. And that, in order to boot the system into Linux, I'll need a new
kernel specific to the Blue G3s however, even after downloading and
installing the kernel located at
/ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/kernel/blueg3/ can I get past the
opening screen of the Red Hat Installer. The system is running however, my
Apple Standard USB keyboard is dead as is the mouse. What and where are the
files that need to get Yellow Dog up on a Blue and White G3?

Derek