[OT] usb hubs

Subject: [OT] usb hubs
From: Michael A. Peters (Moonglue@141.com )
Date: Sat Aug 19 2000 - 07:07:17 MDT

Sort of an off topic question 'cause its not *nix related, but I'm
hoping someone knows... and 'nix lists are all I subscribe to...

I bought my mom a Ruby iMac DV+
I bought it to replace her Rev. B Bondi, which she has really outgrown.

On the bondi, we would plug the USB printer into the keyboard, and
her USB scanner into the remaining port on the iMac itself. Her palm
pilot would connect to a geethree stealth serial port that I
installed (which required removal of internal modem, giving the bondi
a true serial port. Since she has cable modem that worked just fine).

The reason we did this is cause when we tried having both the scanner
and printer go off a hub, it just didn't work- we thought it was
'cause both devices wanted to be at #1 on the hub (which both devices
suggest in their documentation).

The new iMac, of course, doesn't have a stealth serial port and I
don't think they make one for it yet. So I bought her a keyspan usb
pda adapter. We plugged the hub we previously bought into the mac,
and put the scanner at port 1 and the pda adapter at port 2.

With it that way, neither the scanner or pda would work- no lights on
the hub. Oddly enough, if I added the keyspan adapter after booting
just when the scanner got its link light, they both would have lights
on the hub, the palm would connect, but abort halfway through a sync.
Rebooting would cause loss of link lights for both devices.

When I put the pda adapter on port 3, there was no problem with both
connecting on a boot- they both had link lights, but same problem
with the palm dropping its connection halfway through a sync.

The palm syncs no proble when connected directly to the Mac (so it
isn't a conflict with printer), and works when connected to the
keyboard (thus printer unconnected) with the scanner attached
directly to the mac (i.e. its not a conflict with scanner).

Thus, I think the usb hub is bad. So I need to buy my mom another hub
so that everything she uses can be connected at the same time. This
is my mom. I want her setup to be perfect, not having to swap devices
connected etc.

Does anyone have a recommondation for a really high quality USB hub I
could get that would be more likely to just plain work than the el
cheapo hub she currently has? I want mom to have the best, and I want
her system to work smoothly the way its suppose to.

Michael A. Peters-- http://24.5.29.77/Linux_Pages/
                                http://www.omnilinux.com/