can't install tulip driver

Subject: can't install tulip driver
pjkim@excite.com
Date: Sun Aug 20 2000 - 15:25:01 MDT

I can't seem to get my ethernet card driver installed. The card is
recognized at some level because when I open the KDE control panel under
PCI, the card is listed properly as a Kingston NIC with address 0x400, irq
23. Several sources indicate that the correct driver for this card is the
tulip driver. I have tried to install the driver with modprobe but get the
following error message-

modprobe eth0 tulip
modprobe: Can't locate module tulip

I have also tried adding the lines

alias eth0 tulip
options eth0 io=0x400 irq=23

to my conf.modules file but to no avail. I then tried rebuilding all the
modules in /usr/src/linux with make modules; make modules_install. When I
look in the linux/drivers/net subdirectory however, there is no tulip.o file
corresponding to the tulip.c file.

Do I need to compile tulip.c separately and then move it to /lib/modules? If
I do compile it, what options do I need to set to make it a loadable module?
If I move the module into /lib/modules, will modprobe then be able to load
it?

I have tried reading all of the relevant HOWTO files but can't seem to
figure this one out.

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Say Bye to Slow Internet!