New iMacs?

Subject: New iMacs?
From: Martin McWhorter (m_mcwhorter@prairiegroup.com)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 08:52:09 MDT

Has anyone had any success installing YDL or any flavor of linux on a
new iMac DV?

The problem seems that the kernel in the install image of YDL cannot see
the USB devices.

Suse 6.3beta relys on bootx for the install wich does not seem to work
with the new machines.

I am still trying to figure out how to write a HFS image to CD under
linux so that I can create a LinuxPPC 2000 boot-able CD.

I seems I have only one option to make linux work.

Attach an ATA drive to my x86 Linux machine, create an EXT2 fs and swap
partition, extract kernel and GNU system/shell PPC RPMs (or cross
compile... YUK) to the new drive. Insert drive into iMac, install and
configure YABoot. I do not want to follow this path but it seems I am
being forced to.

Is there an alternative?

Martin