PPP over Ethernet support?

Subject: PPP over Ethernet support?
pjkim@excite.com
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 12:31:28 MDT

I have DSL through SW Bell. After 4 months of getting the run around (I
can't say that I can recommend them at this point), I finally have DSL
working on the Mac OS. It uses some proprietary software from NTS that uses
the PPP protocol over Ethernet. It works fine on the Mac OS. Problem is that
I can't get it to work on Linux. SWBell offers a Linux driver the PPP over
Ethernet, but alas it only works on Intel processors (bastards!). NTS is
pretty much hands off about support, recommending that I check with my local
provider. My local provider is moderately to severely clueless about such
things (who would have figured?). Has anyone figured out how to run PPP over
Ethernet? Is there anyway to configure PPP to work with eth0 (when I try to
run pppd with /dev/eth0, I get an error message saying eth0 is not a
character device).

Any help would be appreciated.

Peter

Say Bye to Slow Internet!