mixing scsi and ata

Subject: mixing scsi and ata
From: Dave Grote (dave@ife1.lbl.gov)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 17:22:21 MDT

I have gotten absolutely nowhere with installing YDL on my new G4. I
have MacOS 9 running on a scsi hard drive and have the pre-installed YDL
which only came on a ATA drive. I can't get the computer to boot up
using the ATA drive. I've tried various jumper configurations on the
ATA. It always comes up mac. I've tried booting up with the scsi drive
unplugged. The computer doesn't boot at all. I've booted up off of the
CD (holding down 'c') and linux actually starts to boot but gets hung up
on the scsi - then the screen turns yellow and nothing else happens.

When I have macos running, it does see the ATA drive, reporting that
there are no hfs partitions, so I know that the drive is connected
properly.

Has anyone else dealt with this situation or know what to do? Would it
be easier to just buy a second scsi drive and install linux on it from
the cd's?
       Thanks for your help
            Dave