Help, Yup update mismatched kernel and modules (I think)

Subject: Help, Yup update mismatched kernel and modules (I think)
From: William K. Gibson (firstdesk@columbus.rr.com)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 11:40:27 MDT

I did a yup update on my B&W G3 the other day. It seemed to keep having
problems downloading, so I kept doing it until it finally installed
everything. But after this, modprobe decided to have problems.

For example,
a call to modprobe dmasound produced this result:

    modprobe: can't open dependencies file
/lib/modules/2.2.15-2.9.0/modules.dep (no such file or directory)

I cd to /lib/modules and notice there is no 2.2.15-2.9.0 dir at all. There
is now a 2.2.17-0.6.1 dir and that is all. This seems to correspond to the
2.2.17 kernel but for some reason modprobe (and depmod too) seem to want the
old kernel module directory.

My question is- why is this? Did yup screw me up somehow? How can I convince
modprobe and depmod to adjust to the new kernel? I tried making a soft link
to the 2.2.17 dir calling it 2.2.15-2.9.0 but modprobe complained about
every module when used, so that didn't work (I know, dumb idea, but I
thought I'd give it a try). I tried to update modutils with yup, but there
is no new version of modutils, so it must be a configuration problem.
Documentation said something about recompiling the mod utils when
recompiling the kernel, but did not provide much help for using precompiled
kernels.

As a funny aside, my co-workers and I used to call something like this
"forgetting the porehole key." This term we used to ascribe to any action or
config operation that was hard to remember or find in documentation, but
prevented use of software until it was found. It comes from a Green Acres
episode where Mr. Douglas kept painting his house, and the house would
repeatedly suck in the paint. Upon confronting the infamous Mr. Haney, Mr.
Douglas was informed that he forgot to use the porehole key before painting
(which of course he had to buy from Mr. Haney).

So, anyone who knows what porehole key I forgot to use, please let me know.
It sure seems like there are quite a few porehole keys in Unix.

"Porehole key, ohhh, that's rediculous!"

--William K. Gibson
1stDesk Systems
firstdesk@columbus.rr.com