Re: Yup update mismatched kernel and modules

Subject: Re: Yup update mismatched kernel and modules
From: William K. Gibson (firstdesk@columbus.rr.com)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 14:13:58 MDT

on 8/23/00 3:37 PM, Hollis R Blanchard at hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu wrote:

> The problem is that you are still using your old kernel (which is probably
> sitting on an HFS partition somewhere) which was unaffected by the yup-induced
> "kernel upgrade". However, the modules were affected as usual with rpm
> upgrades: the old modules were deleted and then the new modules were
> installed. So your modules were updated but your kernel was not. Please find
> the rpm-installed kernel (probably /boot/vmlinux; check with 'rpm -ql' to be
> sure) and copy it to wherever you boot from.

Huh? I thought it did not matter what kernel you booted from on the mac
side, I figured the kernel on the linux partition would take over from it
shortly after the boot. I'm not saying I read that anywhere, I just assumed
it was so. Are you saying that the vmlinux file on the mac disk (I'm using
BootX) is the actual kernel that gets loaded? I must admit to being a little
surprised by that- and a little annoyed that yup will install a new kernel
on the linux partition with no recommendation that the kernel be upgraded on
the mac side.

Anyway, thanks, I'll give that a try and let you know.

"Miyster Douooglus, yioo fergot the porehole key."

--William K. Gibson
1stDesk Systems
firstdesk@columbus.rr.com