Re: ftp/access question

Subject: Re: ftp/access question
From: Howard Shere (hshere@greendragon.com)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 20:21:57 MDT

>> When I ftp into my system as anonymous I end up in a directory that is
>> called /. I assume that is my home directory which is really /home/ftp/ or
>> something. In the ftp program they cannot navigate up in the directory tree
>> which is good.
>
> You are correct. :))
>
>> When I setup an ftp user and give it a home directory of
>> /www/somedomain/users/username so they can get in and update their web pages
>> they seem to be able to navigate up the file system from there and see other
>> files. How can I make this work like anonymous?

OK. I got two partial answers...

> You'll have to setup permissions so that they cannot read beyond the limits of
> their directory, AFAIK there is not a way to configure FTP itself to keep the
> user within his/her directory.

OK. What permisions are we talking about? Does this have to do with the
ownership of directories? Is there some option for each user in some config
file for ftp?

> I believe that you need to chroot the directory you want to be their root
> directory

OK. The command makes sense, but the user isn't telneting in, they are
ftping in, so how do I get this command to run when they connect via ftp?

 Gridz 1.3 ---- www.gridz.com ---- NetSpace will never be the same again
Howard Shere | Green Dragon Creations | Water Valley Interchange
President | 301 N. Main St. | P.O. Box 70
Software Sculptor | Water Valley, MS 38965 | Water Valley, MS 38965