RE: RS/6000 F50 sym53c8xx timeout problem

Subject: RE: RS/6000 F50 sym53c8xx timeout problem
From: Charles Stevenson (csteven@terraplex.com)
Date: Fri Aug 25 2000 - 07:05:13 MDT

This might help:

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Subject: RS/6000
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 16:15:05 -0600 (MDT)
From: Dan Burcaw <dburcaw@terraplex.com>

Hi All,

I've finally got a kernel working on RS/6000.
It works on our B50 (which is now running 1.2).

Here's all you need to do:

1) download http://www.terraplex.com/~dburcaw/zImage (binary mode)
2) copy zImage onto a blank dos floppy
3) get ramdisk.image.gz from your YDL CD (or the ftp site)
4) put a second floppy into a *nix box and do:
   dd if=ramdisk.image.gz of=/dev/fd0
5) use "F8" to get to your RS6k's Open Firmware prompt
   as soon as the LCD reads: E1F1

6) type: boot floppy:,\ZIMAGE root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1
7) insert the ramdisk floppy when prompted to do so.
8) Install YDL. Be sure to add a small (~3-5 meg) PReP Boot
   partition as the first partition on the first hard disk.
   Make this partition as bootable.
9) remember the / (root) of your installation.
10) after the installer, reboot the system and again go into Open Firmware
11) Boot into Linux with the FLOPPY instructions below.

If you'd like to boot from hard disk... continue. If not You're good to
go.

(Boot from hard disk steps...)
12) once in, type: mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy (make sure that floppy #1 in
    is the drive)
13) next, dd if=/mnt/floppy/zimage of=/dev/sda1 (sda1 is my PReP Boot
    partition and should be yours too. If not, replace sda1 with your
    PReP Boot: note... we've not tried a PReP Boot other then sda1)
14) reboot your system and follow the HARD DISK instructions below.

-- BOOT LINUX FROM FLOPPY --

at the OF prompt, type: boot floppy:,\ZIMAGE root=/dev/XXXX

(where XXXX is the partition the Linux root was installed onto)

-- BOOT LINUX FROM HARD DISK --

at the OF prompt, type:

setenv auto-boot true
setenv boot-device disk
setenv boot-file root=/dev/XXXX
setenv boot-command boot

(where XXXX is the partition the Linux root was installed onto)

then, type:

reset-all

Your system should reboot and load Linux :)

Regards,
Dan

Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.
 http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/

 Yellow Dog Linux
 http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/

 Black Lab Linux
 Advanced Workstations, Parallel, and Embedded Solutions
 http://www.blacklablinux.com/

Yellow Dog Linux "The Ultimate Companion for a Dedicated Server" http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/

Black Lab Linux Advanced Workstations, Parallel, and Embedded Solutions http://www.blacklablinux.com/