Re: Please help with sound on a G3 !

Subject: Re: Please help with sound on a G3 !
From: William K. Gibson (firstdesk@columbus.rr.com)
Date: Fri Aug 25 2000 - 12:49:03 MDT

on 8/25/00 12:18 PM, A. Tuazon at arnetuaz@enoreo.on.ca wrote:

> Hi, since I've installed YDL CS 1.2 on my b&w G3, I've never been able to
> activate the sound. I tried the method described in the YDL Faq sheet on
> the YDL site (modprobe dmasound) and this still doesn't work
[snip]

> P.S. when I do use aumix, I give the command :
>
> aumix -q -v+75 -c R -c+10 -m q
>
> I get back saying my volume is 100,100 and my speakers are 0, 99. Does
> anyone know what this means, and if this is a problem ?

Yes, I believe I have exactly the same problem. Plug some headphones in your
audio output jack and (if it is the same issue as mine) you will notice that
sound is indeed working, it just is simply not working for the internal
speaker.

I have gone round and round on this but found nothing to make a difference.
The speaker volume remains at zero no matter what I try- but the output jack
volume is fine. I guess that's why your speakers show up as 0,99. Mine do
also.

I have a BEIGE G3 that works fine in this regard. aumix -q will return

    speakers 79,79

or whatever volume I have set. But attempts to modify the speaker volume on
the B&WG3 seem to produce odd mixer write errors, as if there is some file
(or device) that is write protected. I can only conclude that the speaker
volume considers itself locked in some way and is not allowing itself to be
changed. But I cannot figure out what file needs fixed. The file
"/dev/mixer" seems the same on both my machines.

"ls -l /dev/mixer" produces:

    crw------ 1 root sys 14, 0 April 17 1999 /dev/mixer

on both machines.

Sometimes when booting linux, the entire machine will hang when reloading
the /etc/.aumix file. Sometimes I can hang the entire machine by bringing up
kmix.

I got so fed up with this, that I actually REINSTALLED linux, thinking I had
screwed something up. This produced the same exact problem.

The only thing I can recommend is that you buy some speakers for the output
jack or use headphones. Otherwise I have nothing for you.

--William K. Gibson
1stDesk Systems
firstdesk@columbus.rr.com