YDL install on summer 2000 iMac

Subject: YDL install on summer 2000 iMac
From: Sren N. Madsen (snm@mac.com)
Date: Sat Aug 26 2000 - 15:06:54 MDT

I tried to install Yellowdog Linux on a new (summer 2000) 500MHz iMac DV SE
-with little success so far. Any help would be appreciated. This is what I
observed:

1. Installing directly of the install CD is a no-go (lost interrupt errors).

2. In setting up yaboot the CHRP dual-boot scripts do not work, as the new
iMac is not recognized. The deal is that THE LATEST IMAC DVs ARE NOT IN THE
COMPATIBILITY LIST. Using ATiGrab (from where?) I found that the new iMacs
are called "PowerMac2.2" and that must be added to the compatibility line in
the CHRP script. (Dual boot instructions found at
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/devel/HOWTO/pmac_dualboot-HOWTO.txt however, I
think the easiest way to get yaboot and dual-boot going is to down-load
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/ppc/update/BETA/bootonly.hqx)

3. In the boot directory I used Ben Herrenschmidt¹s 2.2.15pre19 and the
ramdisk provided on the YDL-install disk. Using the kernel on the install
disk gave the above mentioned "lost interrupt error" and using newer kernels
(2.2.17) left me with a dead keyboard. Probably because the newer kernels
need devise drivers not supported on the ramdisk?

4. Using the following yaboot.conf setup allowed me to perform an
installation:
   image = hd:11,vmlinux
    label = install
    initrd = ramdisk.image.gz
    append = "video=aty128fb:vmode:17"
Strangely using "novideo" sent me off into xmon! Only problem during the
installation was an error during "configure mouse". I have the new "puck"
and a logitech wheel mouse, the setup didn't seem to like either. It was
also not clear to me whether the X configuration went well. After going
through the other setups a small star appeared next to the install option.
That was not the case when I performed "configure X"

5. In booting after installation I used:
   image = hd:11,vmlinux
    label = linux
    root=/dev/hda12
    append = "video=aty128fb:vmode:17,cmode:24"
however, there must be some serious installation problems as "cannot open
/etc/fstab" is reported. Sure enough when manually mounting /dev/hda12,
there is no fstab in /etc.

Now I could of course manually create an fstab, then battle X etc., but I
was hoping someone (possibly the good YDL-folks!) had an idea what is going
wrong here. Any information on the down stream problems, X-server,
XF86Config file etc. would be appreciated. I tried combining the
instructions at () with a linuxPPC installation which is less troublesome
than the YDL installation but with no luck as I get "no screen found"
errors.

Cheers,
Soren