Re: XF4 and 2.2.17pre20-ben1

Subject: Re: XF4 and 2.2.17pre20-ben1
From: Karl Safranek (karls142@home.com)
Date: Sun Aug 27 2000 - 09:06:12 MDT

Ok, so I'm trying to get this to work. Went into /dev/mouse --'no such
device' then /dev/usbmouse --same thing. I went to /etc/sysconfig/mouse and
tried 'ln -s mouse /dev/usbmouse' and got: 'ln: /dev/usbmouse: File exists'

Tried to be smart and started Xconfigurator and got this: 'server does not
exist trying /usr/X11R6/bin/XF68_FBDev' so I figure broken symlink...ok, in
/X11 I did ln -s X /usr/X11R6/bin/XF68_FBDev --this got Xconfigurator
working but didn't solve my problem, it now crashes with:

XFree86 Version 4.0 / X Window System
Release Date: 8 March 2000
    If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is newer
    than the above date, look for a newer version before reporting
    problems. (see http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Operating System: Linux 2.2.15 ppc [ELF]
Module Loader present
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Sun Aug 27 10:31:49 2000
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config"
Parse warning on line 77 of section Keyboard in file /etc/X11/XF86Config
    Ignoring obsolete keyword "LeftAlt".
Parse error on line 77 of section Keyboard in file /etc/X11/XF86Config
    "Meta" is not a valid keyword in this section.
(EE) Problem parsing the config file
(EE) Error from xf86HandleConfigFile()

Fatal server error:
no screens found

As you can see I'm 'grasping' and quessing here, while not having a 'clue'
as to what I'm doing. I have no idea why XFree indicates I'm using Linux
2.2.15 when /proc/version says 2.2.17pre20, do I need to, somehow link the
kernel to X? The instructions do not mention anything about symlinking or
problems of any sort.

If anyone knows of a good comprehensive guide to X, that a new user can
understard with out too much pain, please point me there.

karl