Re: YDL install on summer 2000 iMac

Subject: Re: YDL install on summer 2000 iMac
From: Michael Baldwin (mfbald@mac.com)
Date: Mon Aug 28 2000 - 18:47:45 MDT

on 8/26/00 5:06 PM, Søren N. Madsen at snm@mac.com wrote:

> I tried to install Yellowdog Linux on a new (summer 2000) 500MHz iMac DV SE
> -with little success so far. Any help would be appreciated. This is what I
> observed:
>
> 1. Installing directly of the install CD is a no-go (lost interrupt errors).
>
> 2. In setting up yaboot the CHRP dual-boot scripts do not work, as the new
> iMac is not recognized. The deal is that THE LATEST IMAC DVs ARE NOT IN THE
> COMPATIBILITY LIST. Using ATiGrab (from where?) I found that the new iMacs
> are called "PowerMac2.2" and that must be added to the compatibility line in
> the CHRP script. (Dual boot instructions found at
> http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/devel/HOWTO/pmac_dualboot-HOWTO.txt however, I
> think the easiest way to get yaboot and dual-boot going is to down-load
> ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/ppc/update/BETA/bootonly.hqx)
>
> 3. In the boot directory I used Ben Herrenschmidt¹s 2.2.15pre19 and the
> ramdisk provided on the YDL-install disk. Using the kernel on the install
> disk gave the above mentioned "lost interrupt error" and using newer kernels
> (2.2.17) left me with a dead keyboard. Probably because the newer kernels
> need devise drivers not supported on the ramdisk?
>
> 4. Using the following yaboot.conf setup allowed me to perform an
> installation:
> image = hd:11,vmlinux
> label = install
> initrd = ramdisk.image.gz
> append = "video=aty128fb:vmode:17"
> Strangely using "novideo" sent me off into xmon! Only problem during the
> installation was an error during "configure mouse". I have the new "puck"
> and a logitech wheel mouse, the setup didn't seem to like either. It was
> also not clear to me whether the X configuration went well. After going
> through the other setups a small star appeared next to the install option.
> That was not the case when I performed "configure X"
>
> 5. In booting after installation I used:
> image = hd:11,vmlinux
> label = linux
> root=/dev/hda12
> append = "video=aty128fb:vmode:17,cmode:24"
> however, there must be some serious installation problems as "cannot open
> /etc/fstab" is reported. Sure enough when manually mounting /dev/hda12,
> there is no fstab in /etc.
>
> Now I could of course manually create an fstab, then battle X etc., but I
> was hoping someone (possibly the good YDL-folks!) had an idea what is going
> wrong here. Any information on the down stream problems, X-server,
> XF86Config file etc. would be appreciated. I tried combining the
> instructions at () with a linuxPPC installation which is less troublesome
> than the YDL installation but with no luck as I get "no screen found"
> errors.
>
> Cheers,
> Soren

Seems like we're both looking up at the same problem. Have you had any
further success?

I've a Mac DV SE and I've just begun to try to untangle the YD install
problem. When I boot from the CD I'm seeing messages from the usbcore
(usbcore: USB device not responding giving up (error -101)). From a
practical POV, the result is that the keyboard is dead when the first YD
install screen comes up. No suprise to you, eh?

I'd like to at least get to the point where you are but am having some
difficulties with yaboot. I've done the following:
From the YD CD I grabbed...yaboot.tbxi, vmlinux, yaboot.conf and
ramdisk.image.gz. I dropped these in my System folder. I then created a
bootinfo.txt and based on the instructions you linked to and put this in my
System folder, too.

Problem is, I can't tell if I'm on the right track or not. Mac OS boots
without any obvious signs that it is trying to do anything special.

Please forgive the ignorance about how the Mac system folder works. I've
been hanging about on i386 based Red Hat installs for a while.

Any help you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

michael@westpole.com