Re: XF4 configuration

Subject: Re: XF4 configuration
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 17:24:04 MDT

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Charles Stevenson wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Aug 2000, you wrote:
> > Xconfigurator is for XF3. You're using XF4. The two have different config
> > file formats. To use XF4, start with a precreated one (there are Pismo and
> > G4 ones in the same place you got the RPMS) and edit it by hand to suit your
> > machines.
>
> Although Xconfigurator is required for XF4's xf86cfg package... I thought it
> was for the Card list but when I ran xf86config it failed to auto config the
> mouse protocol and changing the line in the XF86Config file didn't seem to
> effect the x86cfg's method of choosing the mouse protocol... so I had to run
> xf86config which couldn't get the Card list.

The only method I know of right now for XF4 configuration is to take a "stock"
(meaning "hacker-written") XF86Config (which you can find in Howarth's
directory) and modifying it.

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Charles Stevenson wrote:
> I was referencing Howarth's RPMS:
>
> [core@coruscant yi]$ rpm -q --requires XFree86-xf86cfg
> XFree86 = 4.0
> Xconfigurator

I expect Xconfigurator will be updated at some point, but the XF3 one won't
work and I have yet to see a newer one.

-Hollis