Re: Should I use Yellow Dog Linux?

Subject: Re: Should I use Yellow Dog Linux?
From: Darron Froese (darron@froese.org)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 19:17:24 MDT

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Colin Comollatti wrote:

> G'Day all
>
> I would like to know how administrators find Yellow Dog Linux to use?

It's pretty much like any other RedHat based Linux except it's on PPC.

> Is there any security problems for new users of Linux?

1. Only install what you know you'll need (or else, after configuring,
remove *everything* that you don't need).
2. Install all the newest patches/updates to make sure you're covered with
the known issues.

> How does YDL Handle multiple domains?

Just fine.

> I am wanting to setup the following all on different servers:
>
> 2 DNS

Included - bind/named

> 1 Web Server (multiple domains)

Included - apache

> 1 Email Server (multiple domains) maybe webmail?

Included - sendmail, uw imapd/ipop3d
(Maybe should be replaced with postfix and cyrus - just a personal
preference - ;-) )

For webmail there are several options available - IMP is my personal
favorite <http://www.horde.org/imp/>

> 1 Database Server

Included - mysql, postgresql and possibly others

> 1 Mailing list Server

Not sure if it's included, but you could install mailman - it's available
at <http://www.list.org/>

> FTP access (for user to update web sites)

Included - proftpd

> What extra software, other then YDL, would I need to beg, borrow,
> steal, maybe even purchase ;) to do the above?

None - it's all available and most of it is included - the rest is
available from all over the place - take a look at <http://freshmeat.net/>
for more software.

It's possible if you're willing to take the time or hire an expert
to do it.

--
Darron
darron@froese.org