Re: Should I use Yellow Dog Linux?

Subject: Re: Should I use Yellow Dog Linux?
From: Chuq Von Rospach (chuqui@plaidworks.com)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 21:27:54 MDT

At 8:56 AM +1000 8/30/00, Colin Comollatti wrote:

>I would like to know how administrators find Yellow Dog Linux to use?

I find it very painless.

>How does YDL Handle multiple domains?

Just fine. I vhost WWW and email here.

>2 DNS
>1 Web Server (multiple domains)
>1 Email Server (multiple domains) maybe webmail?

the standard pieces -- bind, apache, sendmail. I haven't done
webmail, but freshmeat has oodles.

>1 Database Server

mysql works fine.

>1 Mailing list Server

I've had good success with mailman.

> FTP access (for user to update web sites)

I'm using the standard FTP, just fine.

>What extra software, other then YDL, would I need to beg, borrow,
>steal, maybe even purchase ;) to do the above?

so far, you haven't had to buy any software... (grin).

>I am using the following software on Macintosh G4s' with no monitors
>( I access my server using a Powerbook):
>
>Webstar 4.2
>EIMS 3.0.1
>QuickDNS Pro 2.2.1
>
>The software is easy to setup and use, however, sometimes they will
>just not do what I would like.

I used to use it, too. But I've made the move, and for more or less
the same reason.

And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar and say 'Man, what are you doing here?'"