Re: newbie question

Subject: Re: newbie question
From: Alfonso AGNEW (aagnew@golem.math.smu.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 10:53:28 MDT

Hi Joshua,

If you are using bootx to boot into linux, you can improve hard drive
performance by putting

hda=autotune

in the field for kernel arguments. Let me know if this doesn't make sense.

As far as configuring your screen, check the "no video driver" option at the
bootx window and your screen should work fine, though it won't be accelerated.
If you want accelerated video, you need to configure your /etc/X11/XF86config
file if you use XFree86, and uncheck the no video driver option mentioned
above. I don't know exactly about Xpmac, but a lot of info on this (and
everything else) can be found by searching the linuxppc mail list archives at

http://lists.linuxppc.org/lists/linuxppc-user

I found the kppp program the easiest way to set up my modem connection. It is
a mac like program, so is fairly self explanatory. Give it a try and let me
know if you get stuck. I'll try to supply detail on all this as you need it.

Lastly, I have collected some very helpful links on my web page for linux on
powerbooks, and linux in general. Spend some time checking them out. I found
them invaluable! My page is at:

http://www.smu.edu/~aagnew

Cheers,

Alfonso

--
Dr. A. F. Agnew
Department of Mathematics

aagnew@mail.smu.edu http://www.smu.edu/~aagnew (214)768-2514

"Of all the communities available to us there is not one I would want to devote myself to, except for the society of searchers, which has very few living members at any one time." A. Einstein