Re: yellowdog-general Digest 31 Aug 2000 13:19:32 -0000 Issue 232

Subject: Re: yellowdog-general Digest 31 Aug 2000 13:19:32 -0000 Issue 232
From: William F. Hostman (aramis@gci.net)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 18:54:05 MDT

>> I haven't grabbed ben's kernels yet. My machine has both Pro Keyboard and
>> Pro Mouse; the 2.2.15pre7 off the 1.2 CD DOES ID and accept until the
>> keyboard fails
>>
>> haven't been able to talk to the installer... (see above), but I
>> consistently get there. The problem occurs with both the Pro and a
>> borrowed standard iMac keyboard.
>>
>> Was wondering if I should try BenH's kernels, and if so, which?
>>
>> YDL Tech tells me problem is my keyboard is not supported....
>
>If anyone is interested, I've compiled the 2.2.17pre20 kernel (with support
>for yaboot) using the 2.4 kernel's USB drivers. I had the non-working
>keyboard problem on my G4, but with this new kernel's USB code, it works
>beautifully. I can put vmlinux.bz2 up on my webserver...
>
>goo

Please; I've tried all of ben's kernels and not gotten mouseconfig to
establish a mouse, even with manually linking /dev/mouse -> /dev/usbmouse.
Fails on the polling. If I don't poll, X fails, not finding a mouse.

BTW: just a side note I discovered that macGzip is a more stable way to
unzip kernels if one doesn't have access to the linux side than is
Aladdin/Stuffit expander. (3 of Ben's five gave errors when unzipped by SE,
but MacGZ expanded them and they ran fine... save for no mouse).

Also, successfully moved yaboot to separate HFS partition, which, for
sanity sake, and ability to cross access and use HFS+ on my main MacOS
partition (Multi-gig, so it makes a difference... A BIG difierence).

William F. Hostman | "Smith & Wesson: THe original Point and Click
interface!"
Aramis 0602 C55A364-C S kk+ as+ hi+ dr+ va++(--) so+ zh++ vi+ da++ sy- ge-
533
aramis@gci.net http://home.gci.net/~aramis Vilani: uilamaanamti sirohbrankilin
IMTU 1.0: tc tm++ tn- t4-- tt+ to- tg-- ru+ ge 3i+ c+ jt-() au+ st- ls
pi+() ta+ he+(-) kk+ as+ hi+ dr+ va++(--) so+ zh++ vi+ da++ sy- ge- pi+