RE: Using YDL 2.0 as a server

Subject: RE: Using YDL 2.0 as a server
From: Ruprecht, Chris (cruprech@compucom.com)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 06:13:01 MDT

> Hello, I'm new to the Linux world, but have some experience with unix
> through OS X. I've been looking for stable alternatives to

One of the worst UNIX implementations I have come across in my 18 years
of UNIX ...

[snip]

> Here's what I need to be able to do:
> 1. Web server with PHP, and SQL, FTP server

Apache is your web server, PHP is there, you have a choice of using
MySQL or PostGreSQL and you get WU-FTP or ProFTP as your FTP server.
Now, the 'out-of-the box' install is probably not quite what you want.
I'm using Apache 1.3.20, PHP 4.0.6 and PostGreSQL 7.1.2 for what I'm
doing. It takes a bit of effort to get them compiled and to run. Contact
me if you want some scripts to set up the compile for these (what you
need to tell 'configure' so it does what you want).

> 2. Mail server (pop/imap/smtp/and web mail)

POP and SMTP is no problem. IMap is available of the net somewhere (I
have read an article a while back which explains how to get rid of M$
stuff and it mentions some products here. I don't know any IMAP servers
off-hand) - Same goes for Web mail - which you might want to write
yourself, using Apache, PHP and a database system.

> 3. File server for Macs and Windoze

For Mac there is Net-A-Talk which works well, for Windoze there is
SAMBA, which works equally well!

> 4. Possibly DNS server

Comes standard with YDL (named) but it's a bit tricky to set up. You
need to know exactly what you're doing to get it to work.

> 5. And it would be great if I could use the AV inputs on my PowerMac
> 7600 to capture an image from a camera for use as a web cam
> (capture and save the image as a JPEG locally).

Not sure how that would work - but I'm sure it will in one or other way.
It might need the help of a kernel hacker and some help and insight from
Terrasoft

> I know this is a lot to ask but I think it's possible. If
> anyone knows any or all solutions to these needs, please let me know.
Thanks!

1 - 4 are trivial ;). No 5 might take just a while longer. But there are
web-cam solutions for Linux and I don't see why this shouldn't work.

Best regards,
Chris