Re: Using YDL 2.0 as a server

Subject: Re: Using YDL 2.0 as a server
From: YDL (ydl@hernect.dhs.org)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 09:24:55 MDT

Sounds good so far. Now, from a Mac users standpoint (graphical, very
little command line experience), how is it all to install and configure
and get working. I have actually, with directions, got Apache 1.3.20 and
PHP 4.0.6 downloaded, compiled, and installed on MacOS X (which is very
stable, but doesn't quite have everything I need without buying MacOS X
Server). I don't know if I could ever do it again without help though.

On Thursday, August 2, 2001, at 05:13 AM, Ruprecht, Chris wrote:

>> Hello, I'm new to the Linux world, but have some experience with unix
>> through OS X. I've been looking for stable alternatives to
>
> One of the worst UNIX implementations I have come across in my 18 years
> of UNIX ...
>
> [snip]
>
>> Here's what I need to be able to do:
>> 1. Web server with PHP, and SQL, FTP server
>
> Apache is your web server, PHP is there, you have a choice of using
> MySQL or PostGreSQL and you get WU-FTP or ProFTP as your FTP server.
> Now, the 'out-of-the box' install is probably not quite what you want.
> I'm using Apache 1.3.20, PHP 4.0.6 and PostGreSQL 7.1.2 for what I'm
> doing. It takes a bit of effort to get them compiled and to run. Contact
> me if you want some scripts to set up the compile for these (what you
> need to tell 'configure' so it does what you want).
>
>> 2. Mail server (pop/imap/smtp/and web mail)
>
> POP and SMTP is no problem. IMap is available of the net somewhere (I
> have read an article a while back which explains how to get rid of M$
> stuff and it mentions some products here. I don't know any IMAP servers
> off-hand) - Same goes for Web mail - which you might want to write
> yourself, using Apache, PHP and a database system.
>
>> 3. File server for Macs and Windoze
>
> For Mac there is Net-A-Talk which works well, for Windoze there is
> SAMBA, which works equally well!
>
>> 4. Possibly DNS server
>
> Comes standard with YDL (named) but it's a bit tricky to set up. You
> need to know exactly what you're doing to get it to work.
>
>> 5. And it would be great if I could use the AV inputs on my PowerMac
>> 7600 to capture an image from a camera for use as a web cam
>> (capture and save the image as a JPEG locally).
>
> Not sure how that would work - but I'm sure it will in one or other way.
> It might need the help of a kernel hacker and some help and insight from
> Terrasoft
>

>> I know this is a lot to ask but I think it's possible. If
>> anyone knows any or all solutions to these needs, please let me know.
> Thanks!
>
> 1 - 4 are trivial ;). No 5 might take just a while longer. But there are
> web-cam solutions for Linux and I don't see why this shouldn't work.
>
> Best regards,
> Chris

-----
Zach Marano