Re: Sound in kernel 2.4.7

Subject: Re: Sound in kernel 2.4.7
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 04:57:14 MDT

On Wednesday 01 August 2001 09:35, you wrote:
> Patrick,
> Please excuse the question from this newbie (me), who has the same problem.
>
> Where do I find that file 'insmod dmasound_core', and what do I do with it?
>
> Thx.
> PBK
>
> Peter Kaufman

insmod is a program. you'll find it's location on your machine using the
find command.

find / -name insmod

the other file that's relevant is a configuration file containing references
to the .o modules that need to be aliased. Since most configuration files
are in /etc you can limit the search to just that directory. since you're
looking for the contents of a file instead of just the filename, the find
command won't do. Use grep or egrep instead. Do it as root to avoid
messages like grep: /etc/news/passwd.nntp: Permission denied in the output.
or use the second form to filter such messages out

grep -r dmasound /etc
grep -r dmasound /etc 2>/dev/null| grep dmasound

Write back to the list with directions when you get sound working.
Mine is still broken, mostly because I don't particularly care about sound
enough to work through getting it going. Also, the problem with ppp modules
is not really solved either. I just compiled ppp and everything else I
thought I'd need into the kernel. It works ok. I do need to benchmark a few
things to make sure I haven't missed something.

-Pat