Plethora of Peripheral Problems (USB printer, internal modem)

Subject: Plethora of Peripheral Problems (USB printer, internal modem)
From: Merrill Aldrich (maldrich@netwalk.com)
Date: Sat Aug 04 2001 - 16:01:02 MDT

Hi -

I just upgraded to a Cube and installed YDL 2.0. It runs and looks super
groovy, but I cannot get my internal modem or my Epson 880 working, and
I have not been able to locate much helpful documentation on the web. I
am happy to futz with my system, but I am really stuck in both cases,
and futzing no longer helps.

A. The Lack of Printing:

I have USB support in the kernel (the USB mouse and keyboard work,
anyway, and upon boot, the messages that zing by say "USB this" and "USB
that," but too quickly to read.)

I have attempted to use printtool to set up the printer as /dev/usb/lp0.
I can see that node in the file manager, so I know that it exists. Yet
when I print a test page from printtool, I get a message tht says,
roughly, "Error: Device /dev/usb/lp0 does not exist." The printer does
not blink or beep or budge.

I can't locate any documentation that goes beyond "use printtool to set
up the printer," so since printtool is not doing the trick, I am really
stuck. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

B. The Lack of Internet Access:

With my previous disro of YDL (Champion Server 1.2), the PPP setup
worked perfectly for me, but this time I cannot get the cube's internal
modem to dial. I have set it up in the Dialup Configuration tool as
/dev/ttys0. When I attempt to connect with the PPP dialer, it does one
of two things:

1. Crashes
2. Pretends to connect; that is, it says that it is connected without
actually dialing the phone and calling the ISP.

Any advise as to how I might trouble-shoot these problems would be
greatly appreciated. In fact, I'll even buy you a Shiner Bock

http://www.shiner.com/

if only you'll help me get my system going.

Many thanks,

Merrill Aldrich