Re: Adaptec 2940UW

Subject: Re: Adaptec 2940UW
From: John Norair (splinemodel@mac.com)
Date: Sat Aug 04 2001 - 17:48:38 MDT

Interesting. If I so much as have the adaptec 2940uw card in my
computer during the install process (or as long as there's no low-level
kernel driver compiled, i'm told) it kernel panics. I'm told that the
adaptec car works as long as you don't boot off of it, but I have yet
been able to build a stable kernel. 2.4.7 wouldn't work and 2.2.19
won't even compile!

Out of curiosity: What firmware is your 2940uw running?

In an answer to your problem. . .
The startup scan is something adaptec deals with in the PowerDomain
control panel, so if you ask me there is one probable solution: hitting
source. You may have the easiest time doing what is most often
considered to be the most difficult task: changing the driver's code.
I've looked at the 7xxx driver source and it's surprisingly well
commented and rather short. I remember seeing something in there about
scanning ID's at startup. Maybe I'm delusional about that, but if I
were in your shoes I'd be looking into editing source.

Thanks,
John Norair