Re: Memory usage

Subject: Re: Memory usage
From: Robert Vogt IV (robert@arborhost.com)
Date: Sun Aug 05 2001 - 12:24:33 MDT

        Robert,

> Is it normal for YDL to use nearly all of the physical memory ( all but 8
> megs) and never the swap? I have the swap partition on a separate device
> then root.

        Yes. This is standard Linux behavior - exploit all available
physical RAM to speed up the disk. Swap is on-disk, so it would be stupid
to buffer disk information on disk. :) The usage of available memory
should not interfere with programs... try writing a little C program that
allocates 60 MB RAM, and have top running in another VC...

                        -Robert Vogt IV