Help with serial ports

Subject: Help with serial ports
From: Brian & Karla (whitedog@sigecom.net)
Date: Sun Aug 05 2001 - 14:12:27 MDT

Hello.

I am new to Linux so please offer easy to understand suggestions. I bought
YDL2.0 for my beige G3 desktop. 320MB RAM, and I have added a 2nd HD with
over 10 gig for Linux to run on.

I installed YDL with no problems except that I can't print or use my
internal modem. YDL doesn't seem to be able to detect the serial ports on my
computer. I can set up my HP LaserJet 1100 printer with printtool, but
nothing actually gets to the printer (no lights light up, or anything). The
ports are not being recognized.

Someone suggested that I need to alter or replace my kernal. I do not know
how to do this--which one should I try for my beige G3?

I saw a similar question about a beige G3 in the list archives from Sep. or
Oct. 1999, but there was no follow up suggestions back then. Please help me
figure out how to get things working. Thank you very much in advance!

Brian Uhde