Re: Help with setting up a pop server

Subject: Re: Help with setting up a pop server
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Aug 05 2001 - 14:37:46 MDT

At 7:19 PM +0200 8/5/01, Graham Leggett wrote:
>Robert Brandtjen wrote:
>
>> PS. Not to start a flame war - but I like sendmail, after reading u on it,
>> it's not so hard to configure a secure daemon with it - you have to remember
>> that if sendmail receives more hacks then any other MTA it's because it
>> moves nearly 90% of the "net's mail.
>
>Not true - a product doesn't become more or less secure simply because
>there are more installations of it.

Also note that the "moves nearly 90% of the net's mail" thing is
Sendmail, Inc. propaganda. The logic goes roughly like this:
Zillions and zillions of computers on the Net have Sendmail
installed, therefore it moves lots of mail.

In reality the only reason there are lots of Sendmail installations
is simply that so many Unix variants come with it installed by
default; there are a lot of personal computers on the net with a
disused Sendmail installation.

The big ISP servers that actually do move 90% of the Net's mail tend
to run whatever MTA the sysadmin decided was best for performance,
security, and so forth, not whatever came with the operating system.
 From all I've heard Sendmail is far from the #1 choice for these
servers.

--
Tim Seufert