Re: HELLO!!! IS ANYONE THERE?! (was: image not found... try again)

Subject: Re: HELLO!!! IS ANYONE THERE?! (was: image not found... try again)
From: ABrady (kcsmart@kc.rr.com)
Date: Sun Aug 05 2001 - 20:50:42 MDT

On Sun, 5 Aug 2001 15:31:11 -0700 "Mike & Tracy Holt" <res04d8w@gte.net>
imparted to us:

> This is the third time I've sent this message... could someone at
> least
> acknowledge that you got the message?!?! This may seem
> inconsequential,
> but I am not a mac person and I don't know the ins and outs of the mac
> system. If you don't understand my question, please ask for more
> info,
> but please say something, anything would help.
>
> Thanks, Mike

I haven't offered because I'm not a MAC person either. I was trying very
hard to get YDL to install on a separate HD rather than dual booting
anything. I got it to install once and couldn't get in. I asked here and
while waiting for a reply I dumped it and tried installing it some more.
It turned out I might have been able to boot the one success if I'd
waited long enough for an answer. After dropping it, I had a heck of a
time getting it to install again.

I had 2 problems. One, I had a USB scanner online all the while that was
giving me fits and I didn't know it. It would cause errors to occur at
random points through the install process and it was hard tracking it
down. As a matter of fact I didn't figure it out until nothing would
boot at all (and I kept thinking how dead I was when my wife found out).
Once I turned it off, all was well.

The second problem I had, and maybe it will help, maybe not, was the
partitioning and booting. I made a mistake in assuming what was required
in partitioning. I finally formatted with MAC OS, restarted the install
and left all of the little partitions at the beginning alone (they only
used a few Kbytes space anyway). Then it installed. To boot, I had to
use the bootmenu (hodling 'C' at boot time I think it is) nd choose the
correct drive. I didn't want to change it to a bootmenu because she only
wants to toy with it and might decide to drop linux later.

A lot of trouble just to play if you ask me. But, I wasn't about to
admit defeat despite knowing that I was diving deep into uncharted
waters when working with a MAC.

--
Dead men tell no tales. Then again, neither do mimes.