Re: OS X and YDL on same drive

Subject: Re: OS X and YDL on same drive
From: L. S. (lsearchw@lausd.k12.ca.us)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 05:08:16 MDT

Yellow Dog wrote:

> I have had one heck of a time trying to install YDL and OS X on the same
> drive. It seems this is not possible.
> I have the drive set in two partitions and had OS X installed on one and
> when I tried to install YDL, it was a no go.
> So I reformatted and put the drive in two partitions again only this
> time installing YDL first. Success...Now I go to install OS X on the
> second partition. The first time into the installer I got an error that
> said could not install please retry, so I did. The second time the
> installation went without a hitch. But when I went to restart and boot
> back into YDL, I could only get so far as to the yaboot session and when
> I was prompted with "boot: ", I hit enter and it said:
> "WARNING: Image could not be found" . So it seems that the OS X
> installation erased Linux so OS X could install correctly. Anybody tried
> doing this or know if this is possible. What's going on? thanks.

Well, I've got Yellow Dog Linux 2.0, Mac OS X, and Mac OS 9 on the same
drive.

---
*For me, installing OS X was a headache because 1) it needs to be within
the first 8 GB of the drive, 2) it took a lot of trial and error to
realize that it works when the drive is formatted as HFS+ but not when
formatted as FFS, and 3) the root account didn't work right until I did
something in NetInfo whatnot.

So I booted with one of the Mac CDs, partitioned the drive with the Drive Setup[?] program with the first partition less than 8GB. Then used the OS X CD to install.

*When this was done, I installed OS 9--typically easy--followed by Boot X, which is what I use--Easy!

*Next, I booted into the YDL installer and formatted the partitions for Linux...and Yellow Dog 2.0 wouldn't install properly: timed out a couple times using the different installers, did not give me a password prompt on the first log-in, etc. Reformatted, repeated, etc. Finally, it installed. And here I am.

*For my sanity, I left, as is, whatever boot string settings OS X placed into Open Firmware at the beginning. That way my wife can use the 'Net from OS X while I can boot into OF, issue "boot /AAPL,ROM" and go Mac OS->Boot X->Linux.

--- Basically, get OS X onto the drive first, at <8 GB, then go from there. -- L. S. :-| :-) ;-) :-) *