Re: YDL 2.0 installation weirdness on a 4400

Subject: Re: YDL 2.0 installation weirdness on a 4400
From: Juha Västi (jix@mac.com)
Date: Sun Aug 05 2001 - 08:23:41 MDT

>Hello everyone, I guess I'm pretty much of a newbie in using linux,
>and I'm having problems installing YDL on my mac. First some specs
>for my mac:
>
>I'm using a clone mac (mactell), which is basically just a 4400
>(200mhz 603ev), which has been upgraded with a newer G3 upgrade card
>to 300mhz. I also have a gamewizard 8mb (voodoo2), 128mb RAM, and
>other not so significant things (like a non-apple cdrom). I have a
>6.4G IDE hd with a 2gig Mac OS partition and the rest for linux,
>unnallocated. (basically the hd is just for linux)
>
>.. now for the actual problem:
>
>I downloaded and burned into cd's the both cd's, installed BootX and
>restarted my mac, and started linux with the graphical ramdisk
>image. First I noticed that the whole screen was garbled, and all
>the text was hard to read, but still possible, and found out that
>YDL for some reason put the refreshing rate of my monitor to 195hz
>(I can see the resolution and refreshrate from a 'graphical' menu
>where you can set brightness etc. (builtin in the monitor)). I
>waited for a bit and the graphical installer booted, and saw all the
>colours were strange (they were the wrong colours, as I later found
>out). Nevertheless, I continued, since despite the colours being
>messed up, all the text was easily readable and so on, thinking it
>might be possible to correct the display settings later. I chose the
>home/office package and 'happily' installed it untill I got to the
>network settings, and when I chose DHCP the screen started
>flickering from black to black/white stripes, and I had to restart.
>I tried installing again but got the same result.
>
>now for the weard part:
>
>After trying all the bootx options and combinations I could think of
>(no video driver, text installer, etc), I thought the problem could
>be in my gamewizard, since it wouldn't be the first time it has been
>making trouble, and so I pulled the card away and used the onboard
>video (which I think my comp uses anyway when not playing 3d games
>or something else requiring the voodoo2 card), and booting again. It
>worked, but for some reason I got the text installer despite using
>the graphical installer image (?), and I booted again wondering if I
>had the wrong image, but I hadn't (note: it could've been the text
>installer after all, I might have not saved the bootx preferences
>after changing the image), and this time when I booted back to
>linux, my screen was messed up again (??).. after swearing somewhat
>much, I tried the text installer and all the preferences again, but
>they did no good. I did get a clean screen one time too, but I did
>nothing but press reset for a few resets (???).
>
>I guess that's all, I quit soon after that. Sorry for the quite long email :).
>
>Looking at the supported machines page, I see a text "IMS Video not
>supported", I hope the onboard graphics on my comp isn't 'IMS Video'.
>
>PS. Does YDL support G3 upgrade cards?

> [...]

Umm, sorry for the spam, but I just remembered an thing I think is
'worth' mentioning(+ it gives me a reason to post this again :). When
I boot to linux (using BootX), there are a few lines of text (they go
away too quickly for me to read them) which are clear, and after they
go away, the screen flickers to that hard-to-read 195hz refresh rate.

                        Juha Västi
   , unfortunately didn't get to say thanks for the help (atleast for now)