Re: Boot-CD doesn't contain System Folder?

Subject: Re: Boot-CD doesn't contain System Folder?
From: ABrady (kcsmart@kc.rr.com)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 08:47:25 MDT

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001 10:19:58 -0400 Chris Pepper <pepper@mail.reppep.com>
imparted to us:

> At 6:01 AM -0500 2001/08/06, Takashi Oe wrote:
> >On Sun, 5 Aug 2001, Chris Pepper wrote:
> >
> >> But despite what the docs say, I don't get a YDL option when
> >> booting my G4 with Option held down, and YDL on the secondary IDE
> >> disk. I only get Mac OS X and Mac OS 9 icons.
> >
> >I don't know which doc you are refering to, but the doc, "A Guide to
> >Installing...", which came with the CD, says to "Hold the 'C' key..."
> not
> >"Option".
>
> C boots from the CD-ROM. After completing the installation,
> the docs say I can hold option to boot YDL (via yaboot on my G4), but
> instead I only get options for 9 & X (and the CD, if inserted). I now
> have an installed but inaccessible YDL installation on my secondary
> IDE disk. Perhaps if I grokked Open Firmware, I'd know how to specify
> that partition in OF terms, but I don't.

Maybe you're doing what I did, which, in my case, is due to knowing next
to nothing about MACs and not reading the docs correctly ( they're
pretty limited on a download).

I made the 3 partitions called for: boot, swap and the large main one.
What I failed to understand is, one doesn't tell the installer to call
the boot partition anything. Linux has a /boot partition and I thought
that was what this was. Once I stopped naming it, everything worked.

The final time through I made the 3 partitions and only told the
installer about swap and the large one. In retrospect, I think what I
misunderstood was that the boot partition wasn't the same as /boot and
that not telling the installer about it kept it away from the formatting
process.

Maybe that isn't your problem. I only know that's where I went awry.

--
Secret hacker rule #11: hackers read manuals.