Re: Serial Port/Kernel Help

Subject: Re: Serial Port/Kernel Help
From: Iain Stevenson (iain@IainStevenson.com)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 09:57:29 MDT

on 6/8/01 4:37 pm, Brian & Karla at whitedog@sigecom.net wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I am new to Linux. I bought YDL2.0 for my beige G3 desktop (320MB RAM, and
> I have added a 2nd HD with over 10 gig for Linux to run on).
>
> I installed YDL with no problems except that I can't print or use my
> internal modem. YDL doesn't seem to be able to detect the serial ports on my
> computer. I can set up my HP LaserJet 1100 printer with printtool, but
> nothing actually gets to the printer (no lights light up, or anything).
> Similar story with the modem serial port--YDL doesn't recognize any port
> being there.
>
> Someone suggested that I need to alter or replace my kernel. I do not know
> how to do this (but I am going to buy a beginner's book today that should
> help me learn more). Which kernel should I be looking for that will work
> with my beige G3?

There are a range of options relating to Mac compatibility in the kernel -
including one for serial port support. You do need this to use the serial
ports on Macs that have them. Your best bet is to ask terrasoft if serial
support is in their pre-compiled kernels first. Building a new kernel isn't
usually that hard but its not the sort of thing you want to do as a newbie
if you can avoid it.

  Iain