YDL2 on a G4 AGP

Subject: YDL2 on a G4 AGP
From: Peter (jetcow@jetcow.com)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 12:54:59 MDT

Hi

My Dual G4 450 is having problems with YDL2.0 - I got it to install and can use it by appending video=aty128fb:vmode:20 when choosing a boot option. One time I did this, or some similar option, I got 24 or 32 bit colour, using the X config 4 settings rather than the default autoconfig settings, but now I can only get 256 colours, and I'm not sure what I'm doing different. If I give no video arguments, I get a blank screen where the penguin picture should appear. If I use the video arguments, I also get the screen going far to the left, and then realigning wrong again when going into X.

I tried such things are zapping the PRAM (which, now, means my computer starts from the mac OS partition and I can't get it back on the linux boot one) to no avail, and I'm sure it should be working out of the box rather than having to use video arguments.

any ideas?

thanks

Pete

What Would You Do If You Saw Spaceships Over Glasgow?