Re: Installation Trouble

Subject: Re: Installation Trouble
From: perry phillips (pm_perry@pacbell.net)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 14:59:51 MDT

This doesn't seem like an efficient use of your drive. Better to set
up a small HFS Mac OS transfer partition (say, 1 GB) and have 11 GB
for Mac OS 9 in HFS+. (To quote an ironic comment from TSS: "[It's
pretty much] a known fact that HFS uses massive amounts of disk space
after the first initial 2 gigs due to the block size being 16K vs
4K.")

OS X on the first HFS+ partition, then 9 HFS+ or HFS transfer, then
the remainder should be unallocated and you shouldn't have to
specify what that amount is if you've used the Mac OS Drive Set Up
utility. There's a lot written about all this on this list. I'm
hoping that eventually the crucial info (about this and other basic
topics) will be culled and posted to TS's web site in a searchable
database. It is very frustrating to read over all the messages, many
with the same title, looking for info you +know+ you read about a
month ago.

regards,
perry