YDL 2.0 crashes every night, possible NFS problem

Subject: YDL 2.0 crashes every night, possible NFS problem
From: Conrad Hirano (hirano@physics.ucsb.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 18:02:03 MDT

I installed YDL 2.0 on a B&W G3 a few days ago, and since then, every
morning when I come in, the system is unresponsive. On two occasions, the
system would not wake up. There was no response to the mouse or the
keyboard, and it wasn't reachable across the net. On one occasion, the
system woke up but was unusable. The login process would hang right after
it printed the first line but before the prompt appeared, and the system was
generating errors about not being able to get a request slot.

The last time I saw this error message, it was caused by one of the NFS
processes, after I had compiled a new kernel. At that time, I just went
back to the original kernel, so I never figured out what the real problem
was. I suspect I'm seeing the same problem now with the stock kernel that
comes with YDL 2.0.

The log file /var/log/messages is filled with messages like the following:

Aug 5 23:51:25 cava kernel: nfs: server condor is not responding
Aug 5 23:51:41 cava kernel: nfs: server condor still not responding
Aug 5 23:52:12 cava last message repeated 2 times
Aug 5 23:53:15 cava last message repeated 4 times
Aug 5 23:53:18 cava kernel: nfs: task 11061 can't get a request slot
Aug 5 23:53:31 cava kernel: nfs: server condor still not responding

According to the log file, the system apparently develops problems talking
to other systems on our network as well; however, the other systems have no
problems talking to each other.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Conrad Hirano