Re: Firewalls

Subject: Re: Firewalls
From: Paul J. Lucas (pauljlucas@mac.com)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 20:44:36 MDT

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Robert Vogt IV wrote:

> BUT - you can recompile it, removing most of these limitations.

        And hacking firewall code is beyond most people's abilities.

> My point is that Linux can handle most any corporate network, while a small
> 'box' can't.

        And this thread isn't about your point. I never said anything
        about a corporate network so why you keep bring it up isn't
        clear. Perhaps that's the only way you think you can win your
        argument.

> > Again: for 99% of home/hobby users, an off-the-shelf hub/router
> > box is a perfectly reasonable solution.
>
> That wasn't the point.

        That *is* the point of this thread. Anybody who is going to
        run Linux for a firewall is *NOT* going to run YDL on PowerPC:
        they're going to use cheaper Intel hardware. So why you keep
        hammering away about using Linux for a corporate firewall on a
        mailing list for a Linux distibution that is *NOT* used in
        corporations is beyond me.

> Linux users are typically highly educated computer gurus who don't like the
> 'simplest' solution...

        But not all of them know everything about firewall software.

> > Many of us don't have the time or really care.
>
> Then why are you using Linux?

        To develop Unix-based software that has nothing to do with
        firewalls.

        - Paul