close to giving up on YDL 2

Subject: close to giving up on YDL 2
From: Merrill Aldrich (maldrich@netwalk.com)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 20:51:33 MDT

I hope that some generous soul out there will help me out. I am an
experienced computer user but I am just attempting to learn Linux. I
have been working every evening for over a week trying to get ppp and my
printer working. I have looked at a great many web sites and newsgroups
for many hours, to no avail. None of the FAQs and HOWTOs I have found
actually document the problems I have encountered, and my posts on the
newsgroups and this list have not yielded any response. My wife
practically does not recognise me anymore, I've spent so much time
locked up in the office =^). I know that no-one is obligated to reply,
but there are so few other sources of information that I am hoping
someone will take pity.

If there is a person out there who has a few minutes, here are some
questions I have not been able to find answers to:

With both the modem and the printer, I get error messages that say
"device does not exist," in spite of the fact that there are files for
both in /dev. For example, the modem is in the computer, and I know it
works from the Mac side (this message went through it.) There is a file
/dev/ttyS0, and the dialup configuration is set to use that -- but when
I attempt to dial the modem, I get the error "device does not exist."

The same is true for the printer: the file /dev/usb/lp0 exists, and I
made a printer in /etc/printcap using printtool that is set to
/dev/usb/lp0 -- but when I attempt to print, I get a message that the
device doesn't exist. There must be a step I am missing -- is there
something required to "hook up" the files in /dev so that they actually
connect to the hardware device they are intended to communicate with?

If you can help me out, I would really appreciate it.

I am running YDL 2.0 on a cube with kernel 2.4.4-1a and KDE 2.1.2

- Merrill Aldrich