[YDL] Re: Request: header

Subject: [YDL] Re: Request: header
From: michael (mlibby@uswest.net)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 15:47:28 MDT

On Wednesday 08 August 2001 03:16 pm, Christopher Murtagh wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, michael wrote:
> >"[YDL] re: [YDL] re: [YDL] ad infinitum". I'm in favor if that will not
> >happen.

> And this is precisely the reason why many people would rather not have
> the subject changed.

This is trivial to prevent (in Perl):

unless( $subject =~ /\[YDL\]/ ) {$subject = "[YDL] $subject";}

I could get even fancier, so that all internal '[YDL] ' are removed
and then [YDL] is prepended (to keep the list tag at the beginning)-- but
that might take two or three lines of code. :)

Given that it's more efficient to do this on the list-server than to
distribute the task to multiple clients, I'd rather see it done there. Plus,
I have a feeling the list-server is already built to do this, my email client
is not.

> I really don't see all the fuss. Just about any email client will allow
> you to filter email by any recipient address. I simply told PINE (*my*
> favorite email client) to take any email with a recipient that matched
> 'yellowdog-general@lists.yellowdoglinux.com' to a folder called yellowdog.

I'm one of those people, like Graham, who likes to have a single inbox. It's
easier to keep track of what's incoming and what's been dealt with and deemed
archival quality.