Re: Problems installing on 6500/225; more info

Subject: Re: Problems installing on 6500/225; more info
From: Brian Watson (bcwatso1@uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 18:14:45 MDT

First, I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Brian, and I'm an
electrical engineering student at the University of Illinois. I
wanted a cheap way to host my domain name from my internet connection
at home. First, I had a bought a PC and Windows 2000 server. My
friend was MCSE for NT4, but that didn't help too much for 2k server.
So far linux has been easier to setup (and with less errors). I gave
up on Microsoft in general, and I started using the PC as a
workstation. Anyway, I had my old 6500 sitting in my dorm room all
summer, and so I decided to give YDL a try on it. So far, I like it.
I just got DNS configured. (I'm sure you all say "that's easy", but
for me it's a big accomplishment.)

Anyway, I couldn't help but noticing this person's question...

Rich,

I'm on a 6500/300 and I had the same problem with the network
configuration installer. So, I switched to the text installer. The
system out hang when I went to set the settings manually. However, I
seletected DHCP, and that worked fine. After the installation was
complete, I went back and changed my settings manually. However,
the blue background of netconfig stays even after I update the
settings, so I have to press return, logout, and log back in. I
haven't noticed any performance problems, as I matter of fact I'm
running my web server off of it now:

http://www.majuki.com

(Ok, so the G3/500 thing isn't true right now. I decided to pull the
L2 upgrade card, but I was reading the archives of this list, and
someone had a hack to get it to work, so I'll try that.) ;)

--Brian

>OK, I've tried it with several different CDs burned off of several sites, so
>it's either not the ISO, or there is something systemic wrong with the ISO.
>(doubtful)
>
>Everything works fine until I select network configuration on the install.
>Either X or no-video, same thing happens, but in X mode, I don't see the
>errors, I just lose all video, and the machine hangs.
>
>In text mode I get a page of:
>
>IOError [ErrNo2]
>

>no such file or directory
>/tmp/root/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-etho0
>
> File "./network.py", line 490 in WriteNetworkConfig
>f=open(os.path.join(self.installpath,'etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-'+dev),'w')
>
>File ".network.py", line 66 in write sefl.writenetworkconfig()
>
>File ".network.py", line 55 in configure self.write
>
>File "template.py", line 56 in __call__ return self.configure(args)
>
>My options are Quit, Continue, or Debug, at this point. Continue doesn't do
>anything except bring up more script errors later on in the process. Quit
>reboots, and Debut doesn't help me.
>
>Anyone?
>
>Thanks,
>Rich
-- Just imagine a really neat quote here --