Re: printer and modem nearly working (was: close to giving up on YDL 2)

Subject: Re: printer and modem nearly working (was: close to giving up on YDL 2)
From: Merrill Aldrich (maldrich@netwalk.com)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 20:34:52 MDT

Dan -

Your suggestion got me most of the way there! I downloaded and installed
the kernel rpm at

ftp://ftp.terraplex.com/pub/users/dburcaw/kernel-2.4.4-3b/
I had to read up on modules (that'll give you some idea how new I am at
this ;-) and found that if I use

   insmod printer

the printer will work,

likewise

    insmod macserial

brings the modem to life. There was much rejoicing. I'm not sure where
you are, but perhaps you heard me jumping up and down when it worked!

Now there are just two small items remaining, if anyone has a minute to
help me:

1. ppp is not cooperating with the new kernel. I noticed another thread
about that issue, where Phil was able to use MAKEDEV ppp to get it going.

I tried

cd /dev
./MAKEDEV ppp

but the behavior I get is that the modem dials, the machine logs into my
ISP, but no working network connection is made. (i.e. browser(s) cannot
find any web sites, etc)

What's the best solution here? Is there a fix posted somewhere?

and

2. Where is the configuration file that controls which modules load at
boot? I'd like to add the printer and macserial modules, and remove the
sound module since it does not appear to work on my cube. (Again please
excuse my ignorance)